kernel-2.6.4-1.298 fails on IEEE1394

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Mar 31 18:32:13 UTC 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, RaXeT <maxer1 at xmission.com> wrote:

> IEEE1394 fails on the make install after building custom kernel. It
> was setup in .config just fine.

The ieee1394 modules are Very Broken (TM) in the current upstream
kernels.  Even if it installed properly, you'd run into serious
problems at run-time.  Ben Collins is yet to merge some of the recent
fixes from the subversion tree into Linus' kernel that we pull from,
but even then, the code would still be broken.  My personal
recommendation is to take drivers/ieee1394 from kernel 2.6.3 and drop
it into the current kernel tree.  That's what I've been doing to get
my external Maxtor HDs (5000DV and OneTouch) to work.