Cipe?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Mar 31 18:38:59 UTC 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, Steve Bergman <steve at rueb.com> wrote:

> I have need to establish cipe connection from a current rawhide box to
> a RH9 box.  Cipe is still an option under system-config-network and
> cipe-1.4.5-20 is installed from the rawhide repository.  However I see
> no signs of the cipe kernel modules anywhere and when I try to
> activate the connection with "ifup cipcb0" I get "Cannot find device".

> Is this supposed to work?

Not any longer.  cipe has never been part of upstream kernel, and, in
the switch to 2.6, since we got IPSec, and given the security flaws
that exist in cipe, there was a decision to not add it to the 2.6
kernel in FC.  Unfortunately, IPSec is not compatible with Cipe, and
doesn't offer all of the same features (the one I miss the most is the
ability to establish secure channel with a network whose gateway has a
dynamically-assigned IP), but AFAIK the decision has already been
made.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt if people sufficiently motivated would take
over the cipe package that was removed from rawhide just before
FC2test2 and build programs and kernel modules as Extras for FC2.  I'm
told the main hurdle that had to be overcome, namely porting cipe to
kernel 2.6, has already been taken care of upstream.