Cipe?

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Wed Mar 31 22:21:00 UTC 2004

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> Not any longer.  cipe has never been part of upstream kernel, and, in
> the switch to 2.6, since we got IPSec, and given the security flaws
> that exist in cipe, there was a decision to not add it to the 2.6
> kernel in FC.  Unfortunately, IPSec is not compatible with Cipe, and
> doesn't offer all of the same features (the one I miss the most is the
> ability to establish secure channel with a network whose gateway has a
> dynamically-assigned IP), but AFAIK the decision has already been
> made.

(Sorry if this is a dup.  My previous post seems to have been eaten.)

Wow.  So FC2 will be completely incompatible with RHEL and FC1 and all
previous versions of RH Linux.  No warning.  No period of deprecation.
No overlap of functionality to cushion migration.  If that's not a
statement that Fedora is not suitable for production use, I don't know
what is.

For from being a future possibility in extras, I would have thought lack
of cipe support would be a showstopper bug.

-Steve