Cipe?

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Wed Mar 31 23:18:20 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 04:21:00PM -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
>
>>For from being a future possibility in extras, I would have thought lack
>>of cipe support would be a showstopper bug.
>

> See the detailed security analysis of the CIPE protocol that was linked
> off places like lwn.net. Switching to IPSec is strongly recommended.

So what was the story on CIPE during all the time that RH was pushing it
as their vpn solution?  Were these inherent deficiencies completely
unknown until last September?  Microsoft's "Get the Facts On Linux" site
would have a field day with this if it hasn't already. :-(

Also, in the interest of accuracy, I should correct what I said about
FC2 being incompatible with RHEL.  RHEL 3 products do indeed support
ipsec, although RH9 and FC1 do not.

-Steve