FC2T3: Cannot install to NCR/Symbios SCSI disks

William Perkins wperkins at patriot.net
Sat May 1 06:52:24 UTC 2004

I tested Fedora Core 2 Test 1 when it came out and was able to get it to
install, but not without some problems unrelated with the current issue.

I have a Pentium III that has the following two SCSI cards (lspci):

0000:00:0b.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c875J
(rev 04)
        Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems FirePort 40 SCSI Controller
        I/O ports at b800 [size=256]
        Memory at dd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Memory at dc800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]

0000:00:0c.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c895
(rev 01)
        Subsystem: Tekram Technology Co.,Ltd. DC-390U2W
        I/O ports at b400 [size=256]
        Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Memory at db800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]

When I try to install Fedora Core 2 Test 3, I get the boot prompt and the
kernel does load, but it never loads the NCR/Synbios SCSI driver.  As a
result, it cannot find the CDROM to continue loading the system, and I am
sure it cannot the SCSI disks either.  Both cards use the NCR53C8XX
driver.  Neither the SYM53C8XX not the SYM53C8XX_2 drivers appear to work
with these cards.

I wanted to test the Test 3 release to see how well the 2.6 kernel would
work on my system.  I have had problems trying to customize a 2.6 kernel.
I have been wondering if LVM and ALSA are working correctly with the 2.6
kernel.

Bill
----
William M. Perkins                   E-mail - wmp at grnwood.net
The Greenwood                        UNIX Systems Administration
Reston, Virginia                     (Solaris, Linux, HP-UX)