Screen saver / tuxracer crashes

joe joe at tmsusa.com
Sun May 2 18:02:46 UTC 2004

Scott A Phipps wrote:

>>In my experience using ATI cards for 3D under linux leads to loss of
>>hair, and high blood pressure.
>>

>I've had the same card in the machine, and never had a problem with RH
>8/9 or FC 1.  I've played quake and other 3d games just fine, and never
>had a problem at all until now.

So perhaps this problem is something new? That's possible... although, I
did see the same old ATI crashing issues on an FC1 box that I set up a
few months ago, in this case it was an ATI rage 128. To my
disappointment, the box would suddenly crash without warning, when
running certain 3D screensavers. After disabling DRI, I didn't see any
more crashes, and the box has been stable since then. BTW I don't see
such problems with e.g. nvidia cards, or even voodoo 3 cards, or onboard
intel i8x0 video.

Just a data point for your consideration,

Joe