Status of FireWire/IEEE1394/SBP2 in FC2?

Quasar Jarosz masterra at m-ra.net
Wed May 5 18:31:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On May  5, 2004, RaXeT <maxer1 at xmission.com> wrote:
>
> > Well I just don't understand. I can compile the firewire drivers in
> > any of the kernels.  Currently working very well in
> > 2.6.5-1.350. Again why can't someone just go in and make the drivers
> > modules in any future kernel is beyond me.
>
> The problem is that arjan got a lot of bug reports about boxes hanging
> on boot, and it turned out to be a problem with firewire, so he took
> it out, and now he won't turn it back up unless he's proven ieee1394
> is fixed.  I know for fact that it isn't fixed, so we got into sort of
> a stalemate.  He talked me into believing it might be too risky to
> ship FC2 with firewire support that would prevent even the installer
> from booting for people who happen to have firewire controllers but
> don't care about them (the majority), and that we'd be better off
> shipping without firewire and issuing an update with it enabled, and
> meanwhile I'd work on supplying people with firewire support for the
> installer and the shipped kernel until this update goes out.
>
> I understand this is not ideal for a number of firewire users, myself
> included, but it sounded like a reasonable trade off to me.
> Unfortunate, but reasonable.

Just thought i'd point out that I have had this problem, where the system
freezes on the firewire driver load. Not with FC2, which i was pleased
with, until i found that it wasn't laoding at all ;)

The installer (on FC1, and 2) had no trouble for me, but then i didn't
need the firewire drivers to install to/from, so i doubt they were loaded
anyway.

I do have an odd problem at the moment though - if i build the firewire
driver from the kernel source, it builds fine, but this is what i get when
i try to load it:

[root at klorel ieee1394]# insmod ohci1394.ko
insmod: error inserting 'ohci1394.ko': -1 Invalid module format

[root at klorel ieee1394]# insmod ohci1394.o
insmod: error inserting 'ohci1394.o': -1 Invalid module format

-Quasar