Call for Yum Frontend

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat May 8 17:55:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 12:09 -0500, Jason Knight wrote:
> Yum is such a great package management program (very well designed
> except maybe for having to get all the headers) and stable, yet for some
> reason we expect the average home user to bust out his/her x-term and
> learn the in's and out's of yum CLI usage? (not to mention config file
> management ). Sure you might say, there is apt and synaptic, a
> wonderfully userfriendly combination but again: these would require the
> usage of yum and text line repo management to install on any stock
> fedora system.

Thanks for the kind words.

look on the fedora-config-list and you can see some of that discussion
there.

I've been rewriting considerable portions of yum with this in mind.

it takes time, b/c I'm trying to keep from making a bunch of the same
mistakes and getting rid of the 'download all the headers' requirement
that everyone seems to hate.

-sv