k3b - where is k3bsetup?

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sun May 9 01:17:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004 20:59:17 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:

> When I start k3b I get this box:
>
> cdrecord does not run with root privileges
> It is highly recommended to configure cdrecord to run with root privileges.
> Only then cdrecord runs with high priority which increases the overall
> stability of the burning process. Apart from that it allows changing the size
> of the used burning buffer. A lot of user problems could be solved this way.
> This is also true when using SuSE's resmgr.
> Solution: Use K3bSetup to solve this problem.
> cdrdao does not run with root privileges
> It is highly recommended to configure cdrdao to run with root privileges to
> increase the overall stability of the burning process.
> Solution: Use K3bSetup to solve this problem.

k3b is built without k3bsetup deliberately. It's interesting that k3b
suggests running k3bsetup nevertheless.

> In the past I have built k3b myself, and it did include k3bsetup and offered
> to run it for me.  This seems to have been removed.

Yes, the fedora.us package of k3b also includes k3bsetup to avoid complaints
of creating "incomplete" packages.

What I'd like to know is whether k3b works for you without making
cdrecord/cdrdao setuid root? Or is there any reason to run those tools
with superuser privileges?