kernel 2.6.5-1.356 hangs at boot time

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun May 9 05:36:45 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Sanjeev Das wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently built kernel 2.6.5-1.356 from arjanv at
>> http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/RPMS.kernel/. The system fails to
>> boot and hangs in runlevel 5 at "checking for new hardware"
>>
>> what could be the problem? thanks for the help.
>>
>> Sanjeev
>>

> For me, the problem was caused by my "Sandisk ImageMate 6 in 1" flash
> card reader. I had to disable kudzu in runlevel 1, then run the below
> command to get runlevel 5 or 3 to boot past the checking hardware prompt.

options scsi_mod max_luns=8

Try a line like this in your /etc/modprobe.conf.  Try different numbers
like "6" too.  If this seems to solve your problem, then you need to
submit information about your device ... uh... somewhere... in order to
add to a whitelist of some sort.  Reply to this list, CC me and
davej at redhat.com if the above suggestion seems to help.

Warren