Example up2date `sources'

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Sun May 9 13:05:33 UTC 2004

Gerry Tool wrote:
> Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Colin Charles <linux at bytebot.net> writes:

>>> You don't need one - up2date is smart enough to do selection nowadays
>>

>> Do what selection?
>>
>> up2date isn't all that smart here... Installing the latest up2date
>> and using its `souces' file results in:
>>
>> [root] # up2date --list
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/fedora-core-2
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc2
>> There was a fatal error communicating with the server. The message was:
>>
>> An HTTP error occurred:
>>
>> Status Code: 404
>> Error Message: Not Found
>>

> It looks like you managed to update to the up2date that is all set up
> for running your system as FC2, but perhaps without getting all the
> other packages that upgrade the system to FC2.  My fully updated system
> gives the same errors as yours, because it is now supposed to be
> essentially an FC2 system.  The background wallpaper is now labeled as
> Fedora Core 2.
>
> Perhaps you could uninstall up2date, download a previous version and
> install it.  Then, run it and get all the package updates that comprise
> FC2.  Or, perhaps all you need to do is replace the sources in the
> config file.
>
> Good Luck.
>
> Gerry Tool

I discovered that there are still updates to be made to 1.92, even
though the most recent version of up2date changes the
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file to behave as though FC2 is installed.  I
added the following line to my sources file and found 40 updates in my
case by unchecking the other sources in the up2date window.

yum updates-testing
ftp://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/development

Needs to all be on one line in the sources file.

Gerry Tool