SCSI sg driver does not see the devices.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon May 10 12:55:20 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 01:20:08PM +0100, Patrick Caulfield wrote:
> For info, I'm seeing this too. If I try to use cdrecord on my USB2 DVD writer it
> complains that it can't open /dev/sg1 (ENXIO). If I use a stock 2.6.5 kernel
> then it works fine.

I'm glad people reported this it saved me much pain trying to figure out why
I couldn't update disk firmware.

Arjan when I asked him says its intentional that /dev/sg now only sees devices
not claimed by other drivers (the other drives support SG_IO so you can open
them and do raw stuff thst way)

Unfortunately the disk fimware tool doesnt know that