NVIDIA again - X server doesn't start [x86_64]

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Tue May 11 10:05:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 10:02 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module

There is the issue, have you tried this while loading the module
beforehand?  Directly load the module with modprobe nvidia, then see
what happens.

> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Yes, just followup.

> I suppose the screen message is a follow up. There is nothing wrong with
> my xorg.conf.
>
> I followed the FAQ on the nvidia site but couldn't find a solution.

The kernel module must be loaded.. whether or not it is using the nvidia
agp handler or agpgart instead, the module must load -- get the module
to load and this should go away.  If it works manually inserting the
module, then you might be missing the /etc/modprobe.conf alias:
alias char-major-195* nvidia

> Did anyone succeed to use the NVIDIA driver with test 3 on an AMD64?

I don't have a 64bit chip, so cannot confirm anything.

--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net