2.8 of 4GB Memory / Fedora (again)

reg at dwf.com reg at dwf.com
Wed May 12 06:13:19 UTC 2004

Im still searching for answers, and I still have some experiments to
do, but this is such an odd number that perhaps someone will have some
ideas.

I have a new machine that I have been installing (with FC2T1,- I will
restall with FC2 when its available next week).

The machine is top of the line, Intel D875PBZ motherboard, Prescot 3.2GHz
chip, two SATA drives, 4GB Memory, + ...

The problem is that Linux (Fedora, above) is only seeing (reporting) 2.8
of the 4GB of memory.  Thats from /proc/meminfo, free, top...

I consider that a REALLY strange number.

now Im SURE that the fellow that put the machine together checked what
the BIOS said, but I havent, so thats on my list of things to do.

I also intend to try to run memtest86 and see what it sees, but again
I suspect that the fellow that put the machine together has already done
a memory test.

And then, out of desperation, I intend to pull the memory and replace it
one chip at a time...

But this number, 2.8GB out of 4GB just doesnt make any sense,- or rather
it seems that it should be telling me something.

I have another machine, same motherboard, but with only 1GB of memory,
and it behaves as expected...

So any Ideas???

Due to vacations/work schedules, Im not going to be able to 'get at' this
machine again till next Tuesday, but any suggestions (solving the 2.8 of 4)
puzzle would be appreciated...

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com