FC2test3 - monitor goes off when X starts

Kevin F. Quinn ml at kevquinn.com
Sat May 15 14:54:05 UTC 2004

Tried installing FC2 test 3 from scratch on a desktop; P4, GeForce 3 Ti
200 (nVidia) card with an LCD panel 1280x1024 attached to the analogue
svga output.

The graphical install just comes up blank - i.e. as soon as X starts,
the monitor switches itself off.

Ran through the text install, fine until reboot into installed system
when the same thing happens.

I can't reliably get to the consoles (or at least, if it does switch,
the monitor doesn't switch on).  When I have been able to get to a text
console, it seems that X found nothing wrong; when anaconda started X,
the X log didn't mention any significant failures, indicating that X
thinks the graphics card was configured ok.
(maybe I'm trying the wrong thing to get to the consoles - CTRL-ALT-Fn)

I've tried nofb, noddc, and setting the resolution directly.  It could
be a refresh rate problem, but the monitor says "no signal" rather than
the "xkHz yHz out of range" message it gives if I set Windows to an
out-of-range frequency mode.

Any suggestions?  Can I force the horizontal/vertical frequency settings
on the kernel command line?  Can I force the install to halt at a
command prompt before starting the graphical install - or indeed get the
installed system to boot to a shell promot instead of the graphical
login? It's difficult to work this sort of thing out without being able
to get into the system to start with :)

TIA Kev.