Serious reservations about FC2 release on 5/18

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Mon May 17 19:41:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 10:25:00PM -0400, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> Nobody seems to think it makes Windows XP look bad.  I'm sure they'll
> be just as understanding about FC2.   Funny how people expect more
> from something they don't pay a dime for.   Anyway, i'm sure it will all
> work soon enough.

A number of people have made comments to this effect, and that the
windows install will hose your linux partition, too.  There is an
important difference:

  The windows installer offers to hose your linux partition and then
  does so when you click OK.  It sounds like the current FC2 installer
  offers to set things up so they both work, and then proceeds to hose
  your windows partition.  That's not cool at all.

Properly informing the user about what's going to happen makes a big
difference.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G