Gigabit ethernet cards

James Ralston qralston+ml.redhat-fedora-test at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon May 17 19:10:50 UTC 2004

On 2004-05-17 at 12:11:23-05 William Lovaton <williama_lovaton at coomeva.com.co> wrote:
> I'm going to use FC2 Final in my production server and I want to
> upgrade the network card to a Gigabit ethernet.  What model is known
> to work well in FC2??

We've had good success with Intel cards.

If your server is PCI only (not PCI-X), try:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-106-112&depa=0

If you want PCI-X, try:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-106-117&depa=0

If you need PCI-X and two interfaces, try:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-106-202&depa=0

All of these cards use Intel's open-source "e1000" driver.  (I believe
that Intel is still maintaining it, and that the kernel developers go
re-sync against Intel's latest version occasionally.)

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute