final release - p2p or mirrors

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue May 18 00:57:57 UTC 2004

Chris Kloiber wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 19:37, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>I was wondering if a CDROM created from a fragmented retrieval would
>>hunt all over the place for bits and pieces of files. Those motors of
>>hunting operations from CDROMs can be quite noisy.
>

> I don't believe it works like that. If a CD/DVD is fragmented on the
> hard drive, the hard drive will seek like mad when writing the CD/DVD,
> but the resulting CD/DVD will be identical to the original. Any
> thrashing on the burned copy will be same as the original.

OK, I was thinking that the iso on the hard disk was going to be the
exact representation of what will be burned onto the CD discs. HD Disk
thrashing doesn't bother me, if it doesn't effect the CD disc created.

If the torrent throws out chunks of the file in predictable sizes, then
the torrent might be easier to slice with the added fragmentation.

I have to open ports, install bittorrent, grab the torrent file and join
in the wave. Hopefully the setup won't take longer  (for me), than
ftp'ing the images traditionally.

Thanks,

Jim

--
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.