Fix for the XP dual boot problem

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed May 19 21:22:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:29:57AM -0700, Radu Cornea wrote:

> If this helps to find the problem with the wrong geometry, even after
> fixing the mbr, the kernel reports wrong geometry in
> /proc/ide/hda/geometry.

The problem is that there is no "wrong geometry".  For quite a while
these "geometries" are just inventions and illusions.  Many years
ago hard disks indeed had all these head and cylinder geometries,
physical ones, but this is a bygone era.  The trouble here is that
here XP invents one geometry and your kernel another and XP refuses
to work with what it decided it likes.  Linux kernel is more
forgiving than that and anaconda should just read what an existing
partition table said and do not bother with any alerts.

> If there is anything else I can do to help finding the
> bug, please let me know.

Strictly speaking the bug is on an XP side but you are not likely
fare that well pursuing that.

   Michal