Fedora2 confused about SATA drives.

reg at dwf.com reg at dwf.com
Thu May 20 06:37:50 UTC 2004

Ive been making SLOW progress on getting Fedora2 up on a
friends box with 4GB of memory and 2 SATA drives.

I still have no explanation as to why Fedora (and memtest86,
and everything else I have tried) only sees 2.792GB of memory
when loaded on this Intel D875PBZ motherboard and a 3.2GHz
Processor and 4x 1GB of memory.

---

After installing Fedora2 and trying to boot, you only get as
far as
	"GRUB Loading stage2.."
tho there was no such problem with Fedora2test3 (sigh)
I can get Fedora up using GRUB on a floppy, but dont seem
to be able to solve the above problem.  Id blame it on SATA
if it wasnt that it 'worked before with FC2t3'.

---

Fedora is confused by SATA drives.
On the GRUB line (and grub.conf) you have to identify them as /dev/hda1
But in the /etc/fstab, and on mount commands as /dev/sda1...
Grump.

---

For reference, it intstalls on my older machine just fine.
So much for the Bleading edge.
Guess Ill play more in the morning.

---

Any comments (or help!) with any of the above would be appreciated.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com