FC2 install failure with selinux turned on....

Stephen Smalley sds at epoch.ncsc.mil
Fri May 21 12:32:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 18:10, Tom London wrote:
> I did a fresh SELinux (and 'everything') installation of FC2 (wiping
> clean
> a previously working copy of FC2T3).  That is, I entered 'selinux' at
> the installation/boot prompt.
>
> I repartitioned and formatted the drive into /boot, /, /home (all
> ext3)
> and swap partitons.
>
> I selected 'install everything', and the install and 'firstboot'
> appears
> to have worked properly.  I specified a new user (tbl), NTP etc. when
> propted.
>
> When the system 'came up' and I logged in as my 'normal' user, I got
> the following error popup:
>       Your home directory is listed as:
>            '/home/tbl'
>       but it does not appear to exist. Do you want to log in with the
>       / (root) directory as your home directory?
>
>       It is unlikely anything will work unless you use a failsafe
> session.
>
> So, something didn't setup quite right.  (I'll boot single user and
> see
> if the directory got created and labeled incorrectly)
>
> It then return to the login screen, where I tried to login as root.
> This
> time I got the following:
>      The Applet "gnome-settings-daemon" has quit
> unexpectedly.  You can
>       inform .....".
>
> Clicking the 'inform developers' button has not no apparent effect.
>
> Anyone see this/have hints?

I saw the same behavior upon performing fresh installs of FC2.
Workaround was to perform a console login and then run fixfiles
relabel.  But I agree that this is a regression; FC2 test2 didn't have
this problem for me upon fresh installs.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency