Why is "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" the default in Fedora

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at merl.com
Fri May 21 18:11:37 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shahms King" <shahms at shahms.com>
To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases"
<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: Why is "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" the default in Fedora

> Note that upper case letters always come after their lower case
> counterparts but before the next letter, so it's not case insensitive
> and is, in general, what most people expect.

That's what "sort -i" is for. There is *no*, I repeat *no* way to get sort
to operate as a case-sensitive operation short of resetting your locale
before beginning.

And while many folks from the Windows world may expect case-insensitivity,
the UNIX world programmers know better. Case matters, a *lot*.