gdb error messages : No such file or directory

Mark Fonnemann markf78 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 17:35:10 UTC 2004

Hello-

is anyone else seeing this? i'm referring to the "errors while reading/mapping
library symbols"...

[root at markf78 code]# gcc exp.c -g
[root at markf78 code]# gdb a.out
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.0post-0.20040223.19rh)
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048380: file exp.c, line 8.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/code/a.out
Error while mapping shared library sections:
: Success.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
: No such file or directory.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
: No such file or directory.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
: No such file or directory.

Breakpoint 1, main () at exp.c:8
8        for (j=1; j<=2046; j++)
(gdb)

my programs appear to run fine but this message seems like something is amuck
somewhere... here's my version info, it's pretty much FC2 updated to rawhide
(with exception of the kernel):

[root at markf78 code]# rpm -qa | grep glibc
glibc-2.3.3-30
glibc-devel-2.3.3-30
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.46
glibc-common-2.3.3-30
glibc-headers-2.3.3-30

[root at markf78 code]# rpm -q gdb gcc kernel
gdb-6.0post-0.20040223.19
gcc-3.3.3-7
kernel-2.6.6-1.368

mark. :-)