new kernel for testing

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri May 28 23:55:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 01:47:50PM -0500, Satish Balay wrote:
> ACPI with the new kernel doesn't work on IBM ThinkPad T40. With
>
> echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
>
> the machine briefly attempts to go to sleep and then comes back.

On Acer TM 230 I found that a presence of ehci_hcd was responsible
for such behaviour.  OTOH if that module was not loaded in a startup
sequence then the only recognized USB devices were those which were
plugged in while booting and after disconnections and replugging
they were no longer accessible. It turns out that rmmoding ehci_hcd
before attempts to put a box to sleep is good enough and that module
does not have to be re-inserted for USB devices to be noticed again;
either when plugged anew or after a laptop resumes.  No idea why.

I also had to add 'acpi_sleep=s3_bios' to boot parameters or
video was gone.  Still putting TM 230 to sleep kills an access
to an internal floppy but so far these are all losses.  I do not
know about PCMCIA slot as I have at this moment nothing to stick
there.

If any of the above will work with ThinkPad I cannot tell but
it is worth to try.

   Michal