Recognising Partitions

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Nov 2 18:23:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 16:58 +0000, David Franks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first mail so please excuse me if I do something wrong (and
> let me know so I can do it right next time).
>
> I installed FC3T3 on my Sony Laptop and found to my delight that it
> recognised the other partitions on my hard drive including Fat32 and
> NTFS partitions. (I run Windows 2000 from one of them). It also mounted
> the Fat32 ones for me and just identified the NTFS ones giving me a
> message that they were not supported even for read only.
>
> I have used up2date to update both kernel and software over the last
> week or so (now up to kernel 649).
>
> I have just noticed that the automatic recognition and mounting no
> longer happens - though I can of course mount them manually or
> automatically so long as I enter the appropriate lines in fstab.
>
> Did this automatic facility disappear on purpose or by accident, and is
> there some way I can get it to start again without having to manually
> add things to fstab?

It did disappear on purpose, however you may remove this section

  <!-- Dont want to mount non-hotpluggable fixed disks since ideraid
       detection isnt complete as hald wrongly detects e.g. partitions
       from some IDE RAID controllers -->
  <device>
    <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
      <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
        <merge key="storage.policy.should_mount"
type="bool">false</merge>
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>

from your /usr/share/hal/fdi/90systempolicy/storage-policy.fdi but do
note that this may be replaced on hal updates. I plan to readd this
feature for FC4 when the filesystem probe code in hal is more up to date
(right now we may wrongly add entries for block devices stemming from
IDE RAID controllers, that's partly why we pulled this feature).

HTH,
David