dual install results, artheros drivers, touchpad on a toshiba satellite p35 s609

Paul Rennix paul at thespps.org
Wed Nov 3 18:55:16 UTC 2004

I just set up FC3t3 on a Toshiba p35 s609 - it went well!

I set it up as a dual boot with the oem WinXP Home SP2 and used knoppix to
resize the partition and then installed FC3.  NO disk geometry problems!! I
didn't use any of the workarounds that were necessary with fc2, and the
install was flawless.

Now I only have a couple minor problems to work through.  One, is the
convoluted process that I am finding to install drivers for artheros wifi -
which I have gone through twice now without success.  I know its a longshot,
but has anyone had success with these drivers on fc3?

Also, the install failed to recognize the touchpad which windows reports to
be an "alps pointing device" which is a touchpad and 2 buttons (no "stick.")
It is doing well with a wireless usb mouse, though.

I figured I would have some problems along these lines on such a new device
(released in July I believe).  More than anything I am SO GLAD that the disk
geometry bug seems to have been fixed. Good work!

If anyone has any advice on the atheros/madwifi problem or the touchpad I
would love to hear from you.

-Paul Rennix