Corrupted System

achoens at frontiernet.net achoens at frontiernet.net
Wed Nov 3 18:08:00 UTC 2004

Hi Everyone,

I've got a complicated problem.  I keep yum pointed at development.  I
updated my system via yum and then things went crazy.  The system
started off as a FC3 T2(2.91) system running on a Toshiba laptop.

Now when I boot, X won't work and rhgb goes crazy.  I can get to a
useful command prompt by editing my kernel arguments, although rhgb
tries to start if it's listed in the kernel argument or not.  I can
boot to single and then init 3 to get the network up and running.
Booting straight to 3 doesn't work.  It makes the machine go crazy and
won't let you log in.

I tried to roll-back my X installation using yum's cache, but when I try
to use rpm, I am told that my ELF headers are invalid in
/usr/lib/libpopt.so.0

So, what can I do to get this computer running again?  I'm downloading
2.92 installation CD's now.  I don't know if this will help or not, but
it's the only thing I can think of.  I seem to have basic bash
capability, but most things beyond that gives me the error above about
my ELF headers.

Ideas, comments, and suggestions are encouraged.

Thanks
andy