Public SPEC files please

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Fri Nov 5 04:57:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 03:52:13AM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> If you want people making compatible packages, find problems or doing
> general QA, having those SPEC files available instead of SRPMs is crucial.
> I don't want to go download another 5MB to have a 5kB file and see 5 bytes
> changed.

Another vote from here. Even with a fast connection, you still need to
get the .spec file manually out of the SRPM, which is quite a nuisance.
I might not care too much about my own bandwidth, but it's in
everybody's interest to save d.f.r.com's or the mirrors'.

Another common possible use for a .spec file that you haven't explicitly
mentioned is looking at a package's RPM changelog. Googling for stuff,
downloading the SRPM or the RPM and dropping into a shell to check the
changelog can get a bit tedious, especially when done on a number of
packages.

--
Rudi