Something very strange is happening...

PFJ paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 11:50:10 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm using FC3t3 which is updated daily. I'm also using the current
kernel version.

I decided to continue archiving my old collection of CDs this morning
and as always, fired up grip. It reported that /dev/cdrom was not a
valid device any more (it is). It also didn't like /media/cdrom as a
device name.

I tried the two other devices with both grip and gnome-cdplayer with /
dev/cdromx (x = nothing, 1 or 2) and whatever they are registered with
in /media - nothing doing.

I don't normally reset after an update of udev - should I have done
that? Normally though, it's not required.

Possibly udev related is another problem. On Tuesday, I installed a new
floppy drive which also has on it a SD card reader, microdrive reader
and another reader which slips my memory for the moment. The floppy part
works fine, the others aren't recognised. This is read via a lead which
goes from the drive to a socket on the motherboard where a backplane USB
plugs in. /sbin/lsusb isn't showing anything. The device is a Mitsumi
drive. I've noticed in /media that I have floppy and floppy(2) icons.
floppy is dead, floppy(2) works. Shouldn't gnomevfs have just ditched
the original floppy icon and floppy(2) be called floppy?

I did do a reset so the new drive and other bits would be picked up.

Any ideas on either of these?

TTFN

Paul
--
"If I face my God tomorrow, I can tell Him I am innocent.
I've never harmed anyone. I have cheated no one.