Public SPEC files please

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Nov 5 17:20:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 17:46:31 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers wrote:

> > I think it's not in fedora.us' responsibility to make available spec files
> > of unpublished packages (which can be arbitrary packages in the package
> > queue).
>
> I beg to differ. If a work in progress is not part of fedora.us, then I
> wonder what fedora.us really is ? Only the end result ?

So far, yes. A package becomes a fedora.us package when it's published and
made available in the repository.

> How can 4 people
> work together if only 1 person can make commits ?

With "poor man's CVS" because of lack of CVS. When four people work
together, everyone of them can take the most recent src.rpm and either
submit patches or submit a modified src.rpm. And the others review the
changes and approve the package (unless they are trusted).

I wish many packages had four developers, who maintain a package
painstakingly.

> How can fedora.us still
> claim working with other repositories results in much more overhead if
> they still work like this ?

Because coordinating updates (including security fixes), upgrades or even
rebuilds would add overhead.

> How can you be sure that everyone agrees with changes if there's no way of
> knowing what changes have happened.

? Who is "everyone"? Packages must be reviewed and approved (unless the
package developer is trusted), before binaries are built. Binaries stay in
the "pending" repository until they are verified. This also allows
additional community testing prior to release.

But I rather look forward and hope that with official Fedora Extras we
will not get just CVS, but also features like commit-diffs mailed to a
mailing-list. I see no sense in discussing any deficiences of the current
infrastructure. If you just brought this topic up to bragg a little bit
about whether you're maintaining packages in a public cvs/svn server,
it's no secret that it increases productivity. Packages at rpm.livna.org
are within a subversion repository, too.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.9-1.2_FC2
loadavg: 0.18 0.22 0.32