Another NetworkManager question

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Nov 7 15:02:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Amitabha Roy wrote:
> How is it possible that iwconfig and NM applet show conflicting information ?
> In this case at least a 30% signal strength means that NM applet information
> is actually incorrect.

Orinoco cards have problems.  My orinoco card (and I've had the same
report from 2 other people) will refuse to associate with an AP when its
strength is low.  However, it will report being connected to an AP when it
clearly cannot be.  For example:

Given two access points, foobar and baz, where foobar is clearly the
strongest.

1) I set the essid on the card to be "foobar"
2) Card associates with foobar correctly, MAC address is that of foobar
3) I set the essid on the card to be "baz"
4) Card's reported MAC address is still that of "foobar", but the ESSID
reported from iwconfig shows "baz"

When attempting to associate with a weaker access point, the Orinoco
drivers/firmware appear to ignore what you tell it to do, and never
associate with that weaker access point no matter what.  Worse yet, it
will report the _wrong_ ESSID for the access point you've actually
associated with!  I have pretty much given up in disgust on this issue.

If this occurs and you _know_ that the ESSID the card reports with an
iwconfig is _actually_ the same base station as the MAC address that the
card reports with iwconfig, then you aren't having this problem.  If they
are different when attempting to connect to a weak base station, then you
are.

> Also, can someone tell me where NM stores keys, ap information,
> history of recorded
> networks etc ? How can I reset all the information so that NM does not try
> to repeat old mistakes ?

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /system/networking/wireless/networks

should do the job.

Dan