nvidia driver does not load via modprobe.conf

Jim Martin bavinic at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 23:44:07 UTC 2004

Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I installed "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run" today.
>
>The driver does not load upon reboot which leads to X failing.
>
>I noticed the following line in my modprobe.conf file:
>
>================ modprobe.conf snippet =========================
>alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
>alias char-major-195* nvidia
>
>After running "modprobe nvidia" manually everything works.  However,
>next time I boot up it is gone again.
>

>Does anyone know the magic trick here?
>

>Thanks,
>Ernesto

Sorry, that was a rushed reply:

more detail:

In the rc.sysinit file look for the section marked like this:

echo -n $"Initializing hardware... "

ide=""
scsi=""
network=""
audio=""
other=""

Replace other="" with other="nvidia"
and save it.

if the fedora core graphic boot is important to you, then you need to
make a copy of your xorg.conf and copy it to your /etc/rhgb/xorg.conf
and under the section for your video card, change it back to nv

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
EndSection

this will allow rhgb to use the nv driver, and your gdm and xwindows
will use the nvidia module so that you have enhanced graphics.

if graphical boot is not important to you, then you need to edit the
kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove the rhgb otherwise it may
( and most likely will) lock up when booting.

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00  quiet

Hope this was a little clearer.

BaVinic