Any advantage to downloading newly released isos if using FC3RC5

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Mon Nov 8 18:40:12 UTC 2004

Gregory Gulik wrote:

> Douglas Furlong wrote:
>
>> A silly question but... Have you commented the Development branch,
>> and uncommented the fedora, and fedora updates section?
>>
> Of course not, that's why I was asking.
> I couldn't figure it out in the yum configuration but in the
> rhn/sources I found the lines and changed them as follows:
>
> yum fedora-core-3
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/$ARCH/os/
> yum updates-released-fc3
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/$ARCH/
>
> yum-mirror fedora-core-3
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/fedora-core-3
> yum-mirror updates-released-fc3
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc3
>
> #yum updates-testing
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/3/$ARCH/
>
> #yum-mirror updates-testing
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-testing-fc3
>
> #yum development
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$ARCH/
>
> #yum-mirror development
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/fedora-core-rawhide
>

> I tried that and it's still not working, probably because the servers
> are being hammered right now.

I don't suppose you could not top post it makes things much easier (for
me at least).

For me, I downloaded the latest fedora-release rpm and yum rpm from a
mirror, rpm -Uvh those, this sets up yum to use mirror lists.

A lot of them are still saying permission denied but with a couple of
retries you eventually get a working mirror.

I have done that on two boxes now and it all worked fine.

For future reference yum now uses /etc/yum.repos.d to hold indevidual
files for repo's, their fairly simple to understand.

Doug