gtkam missing

Temlakos temlakos at comcast.net
Wed Nov 10 13:58:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 07:35, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> ons, 10,.11.2004 kl. 10.09 +0000, skrev mike:
> > Is there a reason why gtkam is missing from FC3
> >
> > Is there a replacement?
> >
> Yes, gthumb replaces gtkam. It uses the same library to access the
> cameras and in addition has a UI based on GTK+-2.x
>
> Cheers
> Kjartan

I see! Or, I think I see. Now why didn't the release notes specifically
*say* that gthumb performs all the functions of the old gtkam? (Does
gthumb have a plug-in for gimp?)

Which goes to the serious, and so far not-addressed, issue of
documentation. *Where are the documents* showing quite clearly all the
functions of the packages that distribute with Fedora? How are we
supposed to know that a retained package subsumes the functions of
another if nobody tells us? Think of how many people, not readers of any
of these lists, went out and grabbed gtkam after installing FC3 or one
of its RC's and *didn't have to*! (That might not seem important at
first, but think of the conflicts you set up if you run two apps at once
that each address the same device...!)

And when will *apt* distribute with Fedora? The best package manager
ever invented, the best solution to the RPM dependency problem I've ever
seen, works like a charm with Fedora, and it's not in the core distro?
Something's wrong here.