FC3 - wrong screen resolution

Truls Gulbrandsen trulsg at broadpark.no
Wed Nov 10 19:13:28 UTC 2004

Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:
| Jim Cornette wrote:
| | Truls Gulbrandsen wrote:
| |

| |> Hi,
| |> I have now installed fc3 to my desktop an IBM PC300PL with an IBM912
| |> T521 LCD screen the video card is VESA
| |>
| |> ...snip
| |
| |
| | I looked up the specs for your desktop. The video info is below. The
| | vesa driver is sort of a generic driver. Is the S3 Trio listed?
| |
| | Have you tried to add the desired resolution into your xorg.conf file?
| | Say "1024x768" "800x600" in front of the "640x480" entry?
| |
| | Jim
| |
| | Monitor and Graphics
| | Video Integration    Integrated
| | Installed Video Memory    4 MB
| | Included Video Card    Graphic card - AGP - S3 Trio3D integrated
| |
| |

| |> Regards,
| |> Truls
| |
| |
| Thanks for feedback.
|
| Yes the correct video card is Trio 64 3D and it is listed.  So I went
| system settings ==> display and set the correct video card.
|
| Then I got an error message saying that the system would log out of X
| and correct an error.  It never came back.  So I rebooted but now the
| boot sequence goes to:
|
| Starting udev: (ok)
| Initializing hardware..... storage network audio done  (ok)
| Configuring kernel parameters:
|
| and there it hangs unresponsive.
|
| Probably I have to start the install process over again?
|
| Regards,
| Truls

I found that when hittin ctrl-C after the system hangs it actually
continues to boot and gives me a command line.

The problem is that system settings - display did not update my
xorg.conf file correctly.  The driver name for the video card was not
replaced with the corect one but ended up as mix of "Vesa" and "S3Trio3D"

I tried to correct this using vi but am not able to open the file in
edit modus.  I'm told it is a read only file.

Any suggestions?

Truls