/media directory

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Nov 10 20:34:04 UTC 2004

> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:10:14 -0600, James W. Bennett
> <silverhead at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone know for FC3,  can you set your own devices names in the
> > /media/ directory. If this has been discussed before, I am sorry I
> > missed it.
> > I have three cdroms, two being scsi dvd devices. I don't like them being
> > named "cdrecorder, cdrecorder1 and cdrecorder2  I would  much prefer
> > cdrom,  cdrom1  and cdrom2.
> > Any help is appreciated.
>
> There is a way to create local hal policy to redefine mountpoints as
> well as other aspects of hal. But its going to have a steep-ish
> learning curve and I don't know of a good howto for hal yet that would
> have simple instructive examples.

Hmm... /etc/fstab references the man page for fstab-sync which in turn
references this directory

 /usr/share/doc/hal-0.4.0/conf/

with a few examples. If people want to contribute examples, I'm happy to
take them!

> see if you can read through the default matching/naming policy
> provided and try to contruct local policy from that. Look at the files
> in /usr/share/hal/fdi/
> the file to place local policy should be obvious.

Here's a way to do what James asked for; put the XML below in a file
ending in .fdi (you could call it my-cdrom-names.fdi) in
the /usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy directory

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="storage.drive_type" string="cdrom">
      <merge key="storage.policy.desired_mount_point" type="string">cdrom</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

When you restart hald (with 'service haldaemon restart') you're all set
(unless, of course, you already have a disc mounted at that location).

You can customize this even further, should you want to (but see below),
by matching on other hal properties - check out hal-device-manager from
the hal-gnome package for a GUI representation of the properties.

> -jef"hopes tools aimed at hal policy creation show up in rawhide very
> soon after fc3 release for feedback and testing"spaleta

Cheers,
David "hopes that existing software, as well as people, will stop
relying on mount point and device names as it is somewhat inherently
flawed to do so" Zeuthen :-)