problem with kernel-2.6.9-1.1_FC2 initrd - can't recreate, but disturbing

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Nov 10 21:57:21 UTC 2004

I installed kernel-2.6.9-1.2_FC2.i686.rpm from updates/testing, to see what
would happen. Standard rpm -ivh; nothing fancy. Then, I changed grub.conf to
make the new kernel the default, and rebooted. Woops; panic. Turns out the
initrd-2.6.9-1.2_FC2.img was completely empty (12k file, properly a gzipped
ext2 image, but with no content). I ran mkinitrd by hand, and it worked
fine. And then I uninstalled the kernel and reinstalled it, and this time,
the initrd image was created just fine.

So, maybe it was a bizarre fluke. But I thought I'd mention it just in case
anyone else has similar problems....