FC3 disappointment: KsCD locks system; grip; CDROM in general.

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Thu Nov 11 16:59:04 UTC 2004

I am using FC3 because I needed KDE3.3 for a package I had to build.
(kdevelop.)

I knew that someone was going to reply with a "if you can't take the
heat get out of the kitchen".  That is the wrong answer !  I didn't say
I couldn't take the heat.  I just fixed my CDROM issue.  The problem is
that when we release software with these issues in it, we give Linux a
black eye.  How many reporters are going to test FC3 and write a column
that says "CDROM didn't work, sound didn't work."  OS software is
inferior. ??????  Journalists have no patience and they aren't technical
and they inform a lot of common joe users.

The suggestion about running FC2 is invalid as well.  FC2 was released
with bugs and they are still in the distro.  For example: it was shipped
with an issue in disk druid that would wreck dual booting with XP.
There is a work around, but the point is that the Fedora Core released
it in the first place.  An FC2.1 release covering a few of these issues
would make the world of difference.

BTW: If you don't run FC, what are you supposed to run ?  I don't like
SUSE with its yast stuff.  I am not going to run debian.  RH8,9 and FC1
are abandoned.  About the only other mainstream Linux is Mandrake.  I
like the way RH does things, so I run FC3.  I am an advanced user, but
what about joe average user ?  Maybe that is what whitebox Linux is
for.

--
Kim Lux (Mr.)  Diesel Research Inc