FC3 does not boot with an own vanilla kernel ( *SOLVED* )

RON FLORY ron.flory at adtran.com
Fri Nov 12 14:10:21 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> odd.. makes me wonder if you disabled initrd support in the kernel
> config...

BINGO- although its not quite that simple or obvious.

  It seems the initrd support option depends upon

    Device Drivers -> Block Devices -> RAM disk support

  which defaults to N or M on a 2.6.9 kernel.org kernel after
'make mrproper' etc.  Historically I tend to set this to M.

  Also, the most important option:

    "initial RAM disk (initrd) support"

  is disabled and not even visible unless "RAM disk support"
is explicitly enabled (i.e., set to "Y"), which is not the case
on a stock kernel.  It makes this option pretty hard to find
unless one knows exactly where it is and how to unhide it...

  Anyway, enabling both these switches solved both the stock
kernel.org kernel and and LABEL=/ issues.

  Thanks for the hint- I suspected it would be something painfully
simple, but not too obvious.  I'm sure this issue will resurface
again and again.

ron