Features for FC4

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Sat Nov 13 17:46:29 UTC 2004

Your problem is the 128MB of RAM.  If you watch your swap memory in a
monitor, you'll find that there is a tremendous amount of swapping going
on. Upgrading to 512MB of RAM will make a huge difference.  Linux runs
pretty well on old/slow hardware *as long as it has enough RAM*.

I'm not an advocate of your preloading request.  On your machine I think
it would make things worse, because the preloaded apps are just going to
consume some of your valuable RAM and swap out the rest.

BTW: Another app that got a lot faster is Evolution.  My inbox has
11,000 emails in it and they did something to make it work better with
large inboxes.

--
Kim Lux (Mr.)  Diesel Research Inc