Fedora Core 3: Epson Perfection 1650 USB Scanner only recognized as "root"

Erwin J. Prinz ejprinz at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 13 22:11:43 UTC 2004

Dear All:

I have an Epson Perfection 1650 scanner connected to the USB port on a
fully updated Fedora Core 3 system. I added the "usb" line in
/etc/sane.d/epson.conf. When starting xsane as normal user, no devices
are recognized. As root, scanning works as expected. I can scan as a
normal user after changing the permissions in /proc/bus/usb/001/003 to
-rw-rw-rw- (666), but this change is not persistent after the next boot-up.

What is the preferred way to obtain the "666" permissions? I thought
that /etc/hotplug/usb/libusbscanner should set the permissions for the
console user correctly, but apparently it doesn't.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards, Erwin