Need to force arch for server install...

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 15 13:41:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 08:00:45PM -0600, Kevin Freeman wrote:
> simply keeping the default i686 architecture.  Unless my memory has
> failed, all x86 Intel-brand chips PII and higher are fully compatible
> with the i686 instruction set.  So are all AMD Duron, Athlon, Athlon64

The VIA is fully ompatible with the intel 686 instruction set, the problem is
that gcc mistakenly used cmov which is an i686 _optional_ instruction without
checking. Thus ".i686" in gcc terms and "686" in intel terms here differ.

The Pentium Pro has the relevant instructions - the big PII addition is
MMX which is not required.

Alan