Laptop as USB display device for server rack monitoring ?

Jason Dravet dravet at calumet.purdue.edu
Tue Nov 16 19:20:46 UTC 2004

I use console redirection to monitor my servers.  Check the bios of your
servers and look for something like console redirection.  This will allow
you to redirect all of the keyboard, mouse, and video to the serial port.
Then all you have to do is buy a serial port concentrator (I use a DIGI TS16
and CM/16) set it up to talk to the server over the serial port.  After that
all you do is ssh into the port server, connect to the serial port of the
server you want to, and away you go.  This way I can see and do everything
from my office.

Thanks,

Jason