funny way of numbering kernel versions

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 17 07:33:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 02:11 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:

>  > 2.6.9-1.650_FC4 will not be higher than 2.6.9-1.667
>
> Damn, you got me. This is the only annoying thing with having
> multiple releases on the same kernel level. They're not
> /exactly/ the same kernel, and as they come different
> parts of the CVS tree, it's perfectly feasable for
> a 2.6.9-1.650 to show up in FC2, FC3, and devel (FC4).

I sure hope not, you just can't put out an update for a released distro
that doesn't get scored as higher by RPM... Presumably I'm misparsing
what you're saying here?

> I could do something really ugly, and just bump the
> devel kernels up past the last released FC3 kernel
> each time I do an update, but that is a little sick.

Well, here's a suggestion that you might want to shoot down as stupid
and uninformed: How about using the first digit of the release tag? What
does it actually mean for the kernel - for other packages it's certainly
just a serial number... Why not bump it to "4" right away, and then let
that digit spill over to the stable FC4 kernels when Rawhide takes off
on the "5" path. Alternatively, of course, there's some deep meaning to
the number "1" which prevents this from being sane at all.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University