Bad dependencies in FC3

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Wed Nov 17 08:57:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 20:50 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> I reinstalled FC3 on our server machine to try to get past the init 5 x
> respawning issue I had. (I suspect that x isn't installed on the server
> installation and thus trying to run level 5 was a mistake on my part...)
>
> Anyway: I installed the personal server setup and logged in.  I then
> used Add/Remove Packages to unselect a bunch of packages that I don't
> need on the server: games, oofice, multimedia and so forth.
>
> When I try to remove oofice, I get: Packages Not Found:
>
> The following packages could not be found on your system.
> Installation cannot continue until they are installed.
>
> openoffice.org	requ'd by openoffice.org-libs, 1.1.2-10
> gnome-media     requ'd by gnome-volume-manager 1.1.0-5
> gthumb		requ'd by ditto
> libspi.so.0		  libgail-gnome, 1.1.0-1
> ... There are about 12 packages in the list
>
> I am going to run up2date to see if this fixes a few of them.

The add/remove tool seems to not correctly add the dependencies to
remove, when you deselected openoffice.org for instance, it should have
also removed openoffice.org-libs.

If you use yum to remove them, yum uninstall openoffice.org, it will add
the deps it would have to also remove, and ask you to confirm this.  If
you remove them with rpm you will get the same message as from
add/remove.  You could use rpm -e openoffice.org openoffice.org-libs.

The point is, perhaps some effort needs to be made in checking over how
add/remove considers what it is going to do.  The dependencies should be
available for it to work backwards since they were in the comps list for
the install.  Since OOo is a selectable package to 'remove' in the
program it should take out with it the libs and anything else that
requires OOo to be present.

--
Andrew Farris (lordmorgul) <andrew at andrewfarris.com>
- CPE student, Cal Poly SLO, pgp keyid 4430F405 pgp.mit.edu