X Windows apps crash when XForwarded over ssh.

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Nov 18 04:33:24 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 18.11.2004 schrieb Kim Lux um 1:49:

> I did read that and actually just reread that and man ssh.
>
> I am unsure what the "not trusted" part of the -X forward had to do with
> my problem when opening kwrite for example with no file.  As far as I
> can tell, that should have opened fine with -X.  Furthermore, you'll
> note that I was able to open config-system-services and make changes
> with -X.  Is that not then a bug ?

No. See the OpenSSH 3.8 release notes:

Changes since OpenSSH 3.7.1:
============================

* ssh(1) now uses untrusted cookies for X11-Forwarding.
  Some X11 applications might need full access to the X11 server,
  see ForwardX11Trusted in ssh(1) and xauth(1) for more information.

From the OpenSSH FAQ:

3.13 - I upgraded to OpenSSH 3.8 and some X11 programs stopped working.
As documented in the 3.8 release notes, ssh will now use untrusted X11
cookies by default. The previous behaviour can be restored by setting
ForwardX11Trusted yes in ssh_config.

Possible symptoms include:
BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
X Error of failed request: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty)

> It would have been nice to see a better failure error message than the
> one I saw.
>
> I think the new ssh functionality needs a bit of work.

What kind of work? A fool proof error messages?

> Kim Lux (Mr.)  Diesel Research Inc

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 05:31:27 up 7:17, 16 users, 1.62, 0.97, 0.74