Confused about evolution 2 Mimetype settings....

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Mon Nov 22 21:06:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 14:09 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 11:05 -0800, William Hewitt wrote:
> > Where does one set mime types for evolution 2.0...... All my MSWord
> > attachments can only be "Save As...." though I have an OpenOffce
> > desktop entry in /usr/share/applications (it shows up in the main
> > menu)...... Also, evolution doesnt give me any options for adding mime
> > types..... I have done about 20 Fedora 3 installs now and it is the
> > same every time.....
> >
> > Clues, anyone?
>
> William,
>
> It would be _great_ if you could figure out what those documents mime-
> types are.  I've built a new redhat-menus package that should have this
> fixed (see #137520), but it will still require a new OOo build after
> that redhat-menus makes it through into rawhide.
>
> But anyway, if you can find out what mime type Evolution _thinks_ those
> files are, then we could make absolutely sure that the OOo desktop file
> lists taht type as "supported".

Evolution should be determining the mime type for an attachment as
whatever type was set inside the email by the application that was used
to send the email (although it special-cases a few things to deal with
"application/octet-stream" which basically tells you nothing, and as a
workaround for some common buggy email programs).

To directly see what MIME type is set inside a message:
View->Message Display->Show Email Source

Look for a line that says "Content-Type"; this list the MIME type of an
attachment.

If you use Dan's new redhat-menus package and Evolution still has
problems, please file a bug report, stating the MIME type.

Thanks
Dave Malcolm