/usr has vanished completely!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Nov 26 22:30:56 UTC 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 16:46, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 07:33:34PM +0000, Paul wrote:
>> > My entire /usr directory is completely empty! It was working, I
>> > did a reset and on restart, I started to get all sorts of
>> > errors, the drives didn't mount and on checking, /usr is devoid
>> > of absolutely everything!
>>
>> Is /usr empty because it didn't mount. Don't panic until you've
>> checked the partition tables and fsck
>
>Everything other than /usr is fine. The only thing which doesn't
> look right is that in fstab, the line for user is LABEL=/usr,
> whereas everything else is /var (and so on).
>
>How do I check the partition tables? Remember, I have nothing in
> /usr
>
>TTFN
>
>Paul

This sounds as if you had it setup with labels, but are not using an
initrd now, which is required to run labels as opposed to direct
pointers such as /dev/hda7.  If you know which partition was the one
that has the /usr on it, and you can do that with experimental mounts
to /mnt/someplace, (after a mkdir /mnt/someplace) then mount -t
ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/someplace, then do an ls on it and see if
thats /usr, if not, umount it, and try /dev/hda2 etc until you find
the /usr partition.  When you find it, get rid of that LABEL= crap in
your fstab and use that instead.  When its fixed, reboot.