Booting with Grub

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sun Nov 28 02:48:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 17:46 -0800, JERRY WHITMIRE wrote:
> Hi is it possible to have FC3 on one hard drive 1
> Win Xp.service 2 on  2 hard drive
> Fedora core 3 test 3  on 3 hard drive

Still hangin' in there with FC3T3 I see.

> and have it where Grub will boot up to them

Yes.  It is not necessary to have them all on separate disks.  Could
have them all on one disk on different partitions, or some mix.  Win XP
generally wants to be on a primary partition, and you might have to have
grub fool it into thinking it is on the first disk.  For example, if XP
is on the second disk...

title WinXP on hde1
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        chainloader +1

May need /boot partitions for both OSs in the first 1024 cylinders on
their respective disks, depending on the BIOS.

> and what order should thay be in
> ?

Not sure what you mean here.  The order is determined by the order of
the boot stanzas in /boot/grub/grub.conf while the default is determined
by the "default=X" line, the first stanza being X=0, the second X=1,
etc.

Phil