Booting with Grub

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sun Nov 28 08:08:47 UTC 2004

>>On a similar note.
>>Why did we stop supporting LILO?
>>

>Because GRUB is more powerful, has a shell, doesn't have to be
>reinstalled every time the config is changed?
>
>Good old LILO is still there in the base distribution if you want to use
>it.  Quite a few people still seem to like it, or maybe old habits die
>hard.

$ /usr/share/comps-extras/whichcd.py lilo
lilo-21.4.4-26.i386.rpm is on disc 3

you can find the discussion and some reasons for lilo in the list archives
especially october 2003
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-October/thread.html
<...>
<...>

<...>
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-November/thread.html

<LILO´s Back>
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-November/msg00624.html
--------

> > It was removed, now is just deprecated. Since it's back in, it should not
> > be
> > "deprecated" or it should be gone. "Deprecated" is not the place for it.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-October/msg02834.html
>
> Deprecate is where packages go when they are going to be replaced.

Hmmm. OK. I never read to the end of the LILO/GRUB thread; the first hundred
or so posts wore me down.
--------

--
shrek-m